100 of the Best Self-Care Ideas
Self-care is an incredibly important – and necessary – part of life. Many people still think that taking care of yourself is selfish and a waste of time, but it’s really anything BUT that!
Self-care ensures that you are filling up your own cup, which means that you will be much more likely to make a positive impact in everything that you do out in the world.
If you’re not taken care of, it’s much harder to take care of anything else. Whether it’s a big school project, an important extracurricular activity, or a long shift at work that you’ve got on your to-do list, it’s not going to go well if you’re in a poor headspace.
Think about this: you wake up stressed because you were up late working on homework and only got 6 hours of sleep. Now you’re procrastinating getting up and ready for the day because you’re stressed, which leaves you even more stressed once you do decide to get out of bed.
You’re now rushing through your morning routine, throwing your hair up, and putting on the first clothes you see in your closet. You realize you don’t have time to make your favorite breakfast, so you end up grabbing a banana on your way out the door.
You don’t feel your best, you don’t look your best, and you’re about to be late for class. Before your day has really even started, it feels as though it’s ruined. What could have prevented this?
Self-care. If you had gone to bed on time in order to get your regular 7-8 hours of sleep (yes, sleep is self-care), you could have gotten up early to finish that assignment and start the day off in a more productive way. More time in the morning would have allowed you to curate an outfit and hairstyle that made you feel happy and confident, and you would’ve been able to make your favorite breakfast in order to fuel you for the day.
Caring for yourself doesn’t have to be going on an extravagant vacation or going out to an expensive spa. It can be as simple as going to bed on time, making your favorite meal, or taking a break from homework to read or workout.
There are so many ways to practice self-care, and you will find your favorites the more you experiment with it. So don’t be afraid to get out there and see what makes you feel your best! ((:
100 of the best self-care ideas
- Get your nails done
- Treat yourself to a massage
- Take a nap
- Bake your favorite treat
- Go on a walk
- Make a home-cooked meal
- Listen to your favorite podcast (mine is the What We Said podcast!)
- Try a new recipe
- Go on a run
- Journal – check out these 5-minute journal prompts!
- Dance to your favorite playlist
- Hydrate yourself
- Practice your breathwork
- Give someone a hug
- Walk your dog
- Give yourself a day off
- Take an hour away from screens – check out these screen time alternatives!
- Meet up with a friend
- Call a loved one
- Do a workout – these are my favorite at-home workout resources!
- Make a vision board
- Buy yourself something new
- Take a hot shower
- Exfoliate and moisturize
- Put on a face mask
- Take a salt bath
- Volunteer somewhere
- Surprise a loved one with a treat, a gift, or a visit
- Plan a trip
- Read a new book – check out my last summer reading list for some inspo!
- Let yourself sleep in
- Stretch or do some yoga
- Give yourself some positive affirmations
- Write 10 things you’re grateful for
- Clean up your space
- Make your bed
- Wash your bedding
- Reorganize a messy area in your living space
- Switch up your furniture layout
- Buy yourself beautiful flowers
- Switch up – or create – your morning routine
- Have a movie night
- Watch your favorite TV show – check out some of my Netflix favorites!
- Put on a cute outfit
- Set up a self-photoshoot
- Cuddle with a partner or pet
- Plan a picnic date (by yourself or with someone else!)
- Set boundaries
- Write down your biggest goals
- Remind yourself of your biggest accomplishments
- Write a letter to yourself
- Send a letter to someone
- Go shopping at your favorite store
- Use essential oils
- Light a candle
- Do something that’s been on your to-do list for a while
- Buy a new planner
- Plant a garden
- Check out a local thrift store
- Buy a houseplant
- Do your make up
- Style your hair a way you love
- Try on clothes that are out of your comfort zone
- Buy yourself a gorgeous new dress
- Go swimming
- Watch an inspirational video
- Listen to an uplifting podcast
- Sign up for a workout class
- Order take-out from your favorite restaurant
- Go to bed early
- Say no to plans that don’t excite you
- Set boundaries
- Take a social media break – improve your relationship with social media with these 3 tips!
- Listen to a new audiobook
- Take a hot bath
- Make a Pinterest board full of your favorite things
- Visit a local bakery of coffee shop
- Watch the sunrise or sunset (or both!)
- Take a friend or significant other on a surprise date
- Enroll in a class you’ve been wanting to take
- Buy new decorations for your living space
- Grab some cute new pajamas (bonus points if you get matching slippers!)
- Go for a drive and blast your favorite songs
- Try a dancing workout on YouTube
- Make a mood-boosting playlist
- Support a small business while treating yourself
- Finish a homework assignment early
- Pay an upcoming bill ahead of time
- Use a hair mask
- Declutter and donate unused items
- Start budgeting
- Buy tickets to a concert that you really want to go to
- Take a few deep breaths
- Do some yoga and stretch it out
- Sip on some hot chocolate, tea, or coffee
- Be patient with yourself
If you try any of these self-care activities, I would love to hear how it goes! And if you have any favorite self-care activities, let me know what those are in the comments (even if I mentioned them above)!
Thank you for being here; I’ll see you next time! ((:
Love this! So many simple but important ideas! People often think of self care as massages and spa days… but it’s so much more! Thanks for sharing!
Yes! Self-care can be simple, affordable, and still effective! Thanks for reading and leaving a comment (: